Canada on track to welcome more than 300,000 immigrants in 2016


For the first time in decades, Canada is on track to welcome more than 300,000 new permanent residents to Canada in one year, according to the Liberal government’s 2016 immigration targets tabled Tuesday.

Immigration Minister John McCallum says Canada plans to accept between 280,000 and 305,000 – with a target of 300,000 – new permanent residents this year, an increase from the updated target of 279,200 for 2015. If the government reaches its target, it will mark the first time Canada has resettled more than 300,000 new permanent residents in one year since 1913.

As promised during last year’s election campaign, the Liberals will increase the number of spaces available for refugees and family reunification arrivals this year.

“It [annual report to Parliament on immigration] outlines a significant shift in immigration policy toward reuniting more families, building our economy and upholding Canada’s humanitarian tradition to resettle refugees and to offer protection to those in need,” Mr. McCallum said on Tuesday.

The government is also aiming to welcome 80,000 newcomers through family reunification programs this year, up from a target of 68,000 for 2015. Most of the incoming family members – 60,000 – will be spouses and children, while the remaining 20,000 spots are reserved for parents and grandparents.

However, the increases to the family reunification and refugee numbers come at a cost for the economic immigration streams. The government plans to welcome 160,600 economic immigrants this year, down from the target of 181,300 in 2015.

“I don’t understand the cut in the [economic] immigration streams, given the fact that the Canadian economy is slowing, our work force is aging. And I also think that the government has to explain how they are going to provide programs and services and pay for them to refugees that they’re trying to attract through this increase on the program,” said Conservative immigration critic Michelle Rempel.

Ms. Rempel questioned whether stakeholders were consulted in the leadup to the tabling of the immigration numbers. The CCR and Canadian Chamber of Commerce told The Globe they were not. Rather, the chamber says it was warned about the shift in immigration targets, which it said will have consequences for its members.

“It means that arguably they [our members] will have a tougher time filling some of the really difficult roles that they are looking abroad to fill,” said Sarah Anson-Cartwright, director of skills and immigration policy at the chamber.

The government is required to table a document each year detailing how many new permanent residents it will accept for the year ahead. The report was supposed to be tabled by Nov. 1, but the fall election delayed its release. Since the House of Commons was not sitting on Nov. 1, the law requires the government to table the report within 30 sitting days of Parliament returning.

source: globe and mail


GREAT NEWS !!
A major change in the Quebec application factor has happened.


There is no more requirement of 1 year related experience within past five years. In other words the education, no matter when it was done, if falls under the Area of Training List, then the client will be eligible.

The text of MIDI notification is produced below :

January 5, 2016 – Changes have been made to two selection criteria and the interchange of applications under the Regular Skilled Worker Program and for business immigrants. Interchange refers to the Ministère’s ability to switch between the applicant and his or her spouse to determine who will be the principal applicant.

The first criterion changed is that of “Area of training.” This change ends the requirement by the Ministere for recent work experience related to the area of training for diplomas obtained more than five years ago. From now on, applicants will receive points for their diplomas regardless of when they were earned, provided that they were obtained before the application was submitted.

The second criterion changed is that of “Level of education.” This change will allow applicants to obtain points for this criterion provided that they obtained their diploma before their application was submitted.

Furthermore, the Minister will no longer do switches between the principal applicant and the spouse. Accordingly, the principal applicant identified when the application is submitted will remain the same throughout the review process by the Ministère.

To ensure you receive the highest number of points, you are therefore strongly advised to complete the online Preliminary Evaluation for Immigration before submitting an application.

These changes, which went into effect on December 31, 2015, apply only to new selection certificate applications received after this date.

source: MIDI

For more information contact: +91 9701451597